24 December 2007

The different lives we lead.

It's amazing the turns and twists that take us on completely different paths in life. How people can start in the same place but end up with lives that scarcely resemble one another. I guess I'm noticing that a lot on this trip home.

Tuesday night was spent watching the babies' (a.k.a my niece & nephew, who are actually more people than babies at this point) Christmas concert. While they were on stage, donned in their best holiday attire, singing jingle bells and talking about frogs in the manger, I looked to my left and was a bit shocked as Iwatched my sister watching them; a grin strretched from ear to ear, snapping pictures, and waving proudly at her adorable little brood, it was at though it had finally been solidified in my mind...my sister is a mother. Of course I knew this before, but my only real reference point to a concert like this was when I was on stage and my mother was in the audience with a camera and a smile.

The next day was spent with my sister and the kids at the mall. It was definitely a new experience in buying jeans. Everything is a drama with children, and there's just no reasoning with them. Often times they burst into tears for absolutely no reason at all...what does one do with that? I want to sit down, I want to stand up, I want to be carried, I want to walk...seriously?!? It was really quite exhausting...it really put shopping into perspective.

That night I met up with Lori and Leanne over at Maya's house; as she gave us the grand tour, I couldn't help but think how much shorter a tour of my place would be...stand in the center of the room and turn around...tour over. With husbands and boyfriends and houses, I couldn't help but feel like the kid at the table leading my totally self-absorbed single life in LA amongst the two elementary school teachers and the accountant. The next day I got to play teacher's helper in Leanne (Ms. Bates') 2nd grade class. I helped out with the math lesson, creating geometrial shapes out of straws and sandwich bag twist ties, and laughed to myself when I saw a picture of us girls from a trip to Vegas we took a few years ago displayed on her desk, a far cry from the dignified classroom helper "Ms. Lasaki."

Rikki's was the next stop on my journey, visiting with my dear friend and her new son. I knew he existed, I have a photo of him on my fridge, but holding this living breathing (and totally adorable) baby in my hands was so surreal...my friends are having babies...apparently I am at a time in my life where babies happen...yeah, okay.

I guess these are the different lives we lead.

1 comment:

Abi T. said...

Christmas concert AND mall shopping with two toddlers... WOW! You are a trooper!

Although we were cut from the same cloth, we really couldn't be more different, could we? That blows my mind. And yet, when we come back together, It just fits. I love that.

Thanks for spending sweet time with me and the fam this Christmas. It was SO good to have you here, and it made me ache for those days when you lived 15 minutes over the hill. Maybe I'll find my way out of the suburbs and you'll find your way out of L.A. someday, and we'll meet somewhere in the middle. Hopefully.

Happy New Year to you little sister.

BTW, those jeans look FABULOUS on you. They were DEFINITELY worth the MC drama.