11 September 2006

Remembering 9/11.

I had just moved to Florence one week earlier. It was just after 3pm and I was without a care in the world, spending time with new friends on the back patio of my house. We were celebrating two birthdays that day; The Lion's Den was the choice for the night...the day's pressing issue had been settled.

Mikey came out on to the porch and said, "Somebody just flew a plane into the World Trade Center." We didn't really understand, and thought it was an accident and that maybe a newbie pilot made an error. We went inside to watch the news, but we're confused because our Italian was still pretty sub-par. We did understand the word flashing at the bottom of the screen, "TERROR." It became all too real as we watched the second plane hit the the tower. Everyone was pulled out of class, and we we went up to the faculty house to watch the only tv with English news. The tears fell faster as I listened to the gravity of the situation. Lindsay held my hand, I'd only met her a few days earlier but at that moment we were as close as sisters.

Immediately we all ran to call home. First Dad...busy. Then mom...busy. Abi, Tolu...nothing. All circuts are closed, please try again later. No calls were being routed into or out of the United States.

Instant messenger...Abi had signed on.

"Hi Folayo!, " she wrote with a cheer that let me know she hadn't heard. I told her.

"I can't get a hold of mom or dad, I think mom's in Washington. I'm freaking out." I wrote in a panic.

"I'll find them," she said. "I'll talk to you later...I love you, Folayo."

"I love you, too" and I signed off.

There were no tears left, and you could hear the silence in the house.

We prayed, "Lord, be with the people effected by this tragedy. Bring peace to their families. Protect us, Lord. Protect our country. Give us the wisdom to know why this happened. Guide our leaders, Lord. Be with us, and give us peace. Amen."

I checked my email..."I'm okay," "We're safe," "Couldn't call." Thank you, God for protecting my family.

We gathered into the music room, and Dave and Jeff played "Hey Joe" on their guitars. I'm not sure why, but it was the sweetest and most fitting sound I've ever experienced. It brought comfort across the room, and I felt like I could breath for the first time.

Ground Zero: One Year Later


No comments: