14 November 2006

Something in the air.


Tonight on my way home from work, I pulled up at a stop light and the woman next to me was crying. I didn't want to pry, but I couldn't look away.
We made eye contact...
She smiled at me through her tears...
There was silence, and then a honking horn...
The light must have changed...
We drove our separate ways.
She is the 9th person I have seen crying in the last two weeks. The woman on the phone, the guy outside of Starbuck's, the woman on the corner, the girl outside of school...nothing in common except those tears.
I can't help but wonder what's wrong. Why are people so sad? Is there something in the air?
Lately, I've been in a bit of a funk myself; then there are those moments when you feel like crying, but you share an empathetic smile with the person in the next car and you both know that you're not alone and that things will be okay.
Maybe they're not tears of sadness after all, maybe they're tears of connection...tears of hope.
There must be something in the air.

1 comment:

n/a said...

yeah, the seasons changing can totally do that to people... myself included