20 September 2007

This is where I lose half my audience.

Last summer LADY IN THE WATER was released in theaters. I never really knew what it was about, but it seemed like everyone I talked to would go on and on about how horrible a movie it was. Not really wanting to waste my money or my time, I never went to see it and put it on my movie "no" list.

The film came on HBO the other day, as it is from time to time, and for some reason I decided that this would be the day I would sit down and watch it. After all, I thought, I can change the channel at any time. Then a funny thing happened, I didn't flip the channel or through a magazine; I sat and watched, intrigued...interested. I watched it from start to finish, and at the end of it couldn't deny one single thought...I liked this movie.

A movie that is about discovering who you are and who you have the potential to become even in the direst of circumstances...I guess it spoke to me. I loved the direction and the writing; you can just tell he thought about every word and considered every frame. It's a smart and thoughtful film and to be perfectly honest, I think it's caused me to develop a little crush on Mr. Shyamalan.

It's not THE SIXTH SENSE; it's not SIGNS, so if that's what you're looking for then maybe you won't like it, but if you're interested in a unique, poignant tale of self-discovery, I recommend giving it a shot.

2 comments:

n/a said...

My comment is...
"No Comment"

Heehee :) You live bold Folayo and I like that!

Folayo said...

hahaha...leah, you are too funny.