I couldn't sleep again last night which meant that at 3 in morning, instead of being in the middle of a blissful yet bizarre dream, I was watching my FELICITY dvds after tiring of tossing and turning. It was no surprise this morning when I woke up and saw that it was 8:12 am."If I don't shower," I thought, “I can still get there on time." I took a deep breath and realized that not showering this morning was absolutely NOT an option.
In the shower I knew I was taking to long, but I was convinced that the ginger sea salt scrub would be the thing to keep me awake today (which I have since discovered was complete poppycock.)
Toweled and dry, just need to get dressed, yet there I was just standing in front of my closet.
"Is this all?” I thought. "Are these really my options?"
Sadly, the answer to this question...was yes. I picked out a pair of gray pants and a 3/4 length sleeved black shirt. It looked fine...the pants are a bit big, but it was fine. I pulled my hair back, and applied my chap stick (a.k.a. my work make-up), and took a final glance in the mirror.
"Wait a second..."
I walked back into my room and went flipping through some old pictures (in case you are wondering, yes, at this point I am officially late to work). I stopped on a picture, and my suspicions were realized...I was wearing the exact same outfit I wore to my brother’s graduation. You may be thinking, "That's no big deal, he just graduated last year." This would be the point where I would inform you that I'm talking about his undergraduate graduation...in 2002. The only thing missing was the belt (which I still own), and the shoes.
As I looked at the picture and then down at myself, I realized that this picture didn't mark the first time that I'd warn these pieces. I found a picture from New Year's Eve 2001 where I was wearing the same shirt. I went rummaging through my closet discovering items even older than those I was wearing.
"Unbelievable," I thought.
I mean this is sad; it's a cry for help. I realize that I don't really shop with the trends and tend to keep staple items, but even the staples have to have an expiration date. I'd love to say that these were quality pieces that could last forever, but the truth is that I bought a lot of it from Target, Old Navy, or Forever 21 and they're not standing the test of time, they're just getting old and more and more awkwardly fitting.
If it's true that you can tell a lot about a person by what's in their closet, than I need to make an emergency drop off at the Salvation Army and a long overdue trip to the department store...after I leave for work.
No comments:
Post a Comment