After a lovely morning soaking up the incredible art at The Getty, I decided I would treat myself to a little lunch at The Restaurant. Now, dining alone is always an experience and today was no different. I sat at a two-top that was off to the side of the restaurant, but still in the center of a lot of people...basically, I had my eyes and ears on the whole restaurant.
From my seat I saw everything; relationships at work, wayward glances between customers, criticisms of the restaurant, over-the-top mannerisms...it was fantastic. To my left, sat a couple who I assume was probably out on their second date...still getting to know each other, still excited about the minute details of each other's lives, the shy looks, the awkward hand touches across the table...so sweet, so new, and so great to watch. To my right, sat the only guy in the entire restaurant that I found even remotely attractive...which obviously meant he was gay, but absolutely fabulous nonetheless. He and his friend were chatting about their plans for the night, and making the best restaurant commentary I have heard in a while..."$16 for a hamburger, you'd think they could afford fresh bread...What is this wallpaper? It's not even paper, it's like shellac...it's hideous." Of course I shouldn't have been eavesdropping but I couldn't help it, I was just enjoying them too much. In fact, just as I was wishing that we were all friends, we were brought together by a force greater than ourselves...dessert.
We all finished our food about the same time, and when the waiter brought over the dessert menu there were so many delicious choices that we decided to push our tables together, each order something different, and share. I spent the remainder of my lunch having coffee and dessert with Jim and Paul. Jim is a commercial director, who just completed directing his first film "Pulse," and Paul is a manager at the Pacific Design Center, which is the coolest place ever...it's like an amusement park for interior design. It was great; we talked about our work, aspirations, art, movies...it was the perfect end to the day. We left the restaurant, headed back to the tram, and back to our lives.
I thought that my new friends might think I was weird if I asked to take their picture so, with my covert-op smoothness, I got this shot as they were walking away...
From my seat I saw everything; relationships at work, wayward glances between customers, criticisms of the restaurant, over-the-top mannerisms...it was fantastic. To my left, sat a couple who I assume was probably out on their second date...still getting to know each other, still excited about the minute details of each other's lives, the shy looks, the awkward hand touches across the table...so sweet, so new, and so great to watch. To my right, sat the only guy in the entire restaurant that I found even remotely attractive...which obviously meant he was gay, but absolutely fabulous nonetheless. He and his friend were chatting about their plans for the night, and making the best restaurant commentary I have heard in a while..."$16 for a hamburger, you'd think they could afford fresh bread...What is this wallpaper? It's not even paper, it's like shellac...it's hideous." Of course I shouldn't have been eavesdropping but I couldn't help it, I was just enjoying them too much. In fact, just as I was wishing that we were all friends, we were brought together by a force greater than ourselves...dessert.
We all finished our food about the same time, and when the waiter brought over the dessert menu there were so many delicious choices that we decided to push our tables together, each order something different, and share. I spent the remainder of my lunch having coffee and dessert with Jim and Paul. Jim is a commercial director, who just completed directing his first film "Pulse," and Paul is a manager at the Pacific Design Center, which is the coolest place ever...it's like an amusement park for interior design. It was great; we talked about our work, aspirations, art, movies...it was the perfect end to the day. We left the restaurant, headed back to the tram, and back to our lives.
I thought that my new friends might think I was weird if I asked to take their picture so, with my covert-op smoothness, I got this shot as they were walking away...
Jim (left) Paul (right)
I think it's safe to say, I'll never make it as a member of the paparazzi.
1 comment:
Jim and Paul... what a great story! Man, I miss the Getty.
Post a Comment