Today I spent the afternoon at the J. Paul Getty Museum. I love going to the Getty; it's like an event, from the moment you step on the tram until you've seen the very last painting. Here are some of the highlights...
Architecturally, the Getty is phenomenal. It sits at the top of a hill overlooking LA, and when you walk up the stairs from the tram there's a great courtyard that's flooded with people and decorated with fantastic fountains.
The major exhibit was a collaborative collection from Peter Paul Rubens and Jan Brueghel the Elder called "A Working Friendship." Rubens would paint these really intricate and beautiful landscapes and Brueghel would come in and paint characters over and within the existing painting, then the two would finish it off together. It's really unusual for artists to paint together, so to see how well they complemented each other was really great.Here are some of my favorites from the other galleries...
Tea Set

"Bust of an African Woman"

"Waiting"
I also got a pretty good laugh off of this one, not because it is a bad painting by any means, but the title was killing me...
"Portrait of a Boy in Fancy Dress"
After I left the museums, I headed over to The Restaurant at the Getty for a little lunch...
1 comment:
i love the getty too! it feels like you are in outer space or something...maybe its the tram.
btw i want a fancy dress!
Post a Comment