20 July 2007

The Barest Minimum.

The Fair Labor Standards Act first set a national minimum wage in 1938. It set out to assure "the maintenance of the minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency, and general well-being of workers."

I just learned that as of 24 July 2007 the federal minimum wage will be increased to $5.85/hr. This means that people working a standard 40 hour work week, will be bringing home an unimaginable $936/month BEFORE TAXES. I don't know about you, but I find something incredibly wrong and infuriating about this. Try for a moment to picture your life on roughly $750/month, and then remember that the only people that can do anything about this are the voters in this country. I was making $5.50/hr at my first part-time job, and I know that the cost of living has increased more than $0.35/hr over the last 10 years...that's just not right.

No comments: