25 July 2007

It's real to me.

I think we've all done it at least once, whether it’s in the privacy of our own home or amongst mixed company, at some point or another all of our fingers have drifted into to the air and strummed those imaginary strings, played those invisible keys, and beat those make-believe drums. This morning during my walk to work I witnessed the evolution of the air instrument; as I came to a stop light there it was, right in front of me. Before me sat a man engulfed in the middle of an intense drum solo; what made this so notable was the fact that not only was this man driving, but that he actually had drum sticks. I watched him mesmerized thinking that he'd stop once the light changed, but he just gripped the steering wheel (with the sticks still in hand) and just wiggled his wrists as he drove away. I always thought that it was the fantasy that made the air instrument so special, but with this moment I realized that it's the element of reality that makes it truly extraordinary. I don't play the drums, but I can definitely start carrying guitar picks around with me.

No comments: