I have decided that "My So-Called Life," one of my all-time favorite shows, is truly one of life's cruelest jokes...well other than famine, war, poverty, sickness, and death...other than those.This past weekend, laid out on my couch with some wicked bronchitis, I managed to do two things; 1) get my oil changed and 2) go to Best Buy and pick up some new headphones, the new **Alicia Keys CD and the complete series of "My So-Called Life" on DVD.
**I'll digress for a moment to tell you how great Best Buy is due to the fact that all new CD releases are just $9.99 during their first week out. It's gotten to the point that if I've forgotten to pick up a CD that first week, there's a snowball's chance in hell that it will ever end up in my collection especially for artists that I am taking a chance on...like Alicia Keys. "Alicia Keys?!" you say, "Yes, Alicia Keys." I'm generally not a fan of hers, but I must say this CD (As I Am) rocks the house. I'm obsessed with "Lesson Learned," the sixth song on the CD which features the very talented John Mayer. Back to the couch.**
Upon my return home I pulled on my most comfortable pair of fleece pants, the largest hoodie I have, grabbed a blanket, a bottle of water and a cup of hot tea, and planted myself firmly on what may be the most comfortable (albeit ugly) couch in the world for a two day marathon of "My So-Called Life." From the first episode I was in utter bliss; Claire Danes as "Angela Chase" is the most endearing character ever written for television, and Jared Leto a.k.a "Jordan Catalano" is dah-ream-y. Seriously, the brooding, artistic, lost soul...yowsa! Is it wrong to long for a character that's supposed to be in high school? Technically, he was 22 when he shot the show and in my defense I revert back to being in the 7th grade when I watch it.
Anyway back to the show, which is just so wonderful. 19 episodes I watched...19, only taking breaks to sleep and pee...my throat really hurt so there wasn't really any food breaks, just tea. These are not new to me; I've seen each of these episodes before, multiple times, but as one episode would come to an end I couldn't wait for the next to start. It's not a perfect show, it definitely has its flaws, but it is really really good and honest, and just as enjoyable to me as a 13 year old girl as it is to me as a 25 year old woman. I am just as hooked now as I was then which brings me to the cruel part. At the end of that 19th episode when the lives of Angela, Jordan, Rickie, Rayanne, Brian, Sharon, Graham, and Patty are at this turning point...the show ends. It just ends, no answers, no resolutions, just questions and wondering.
The funny thing is that I knew going into this marathon what the outcome would be, but it still really pissed me off when it was done. Still...such a good show, and such a good way to get over bronchitis...which sucks by the way.
1 comment:
Oh No! You were sick? I'm sorry Folayo, I hope you feel better now!
You know what is funny? Abi and I used to watch My So Called Life at Pepperdine. We loved this show!
I may have to buy the series too.
Post a Comment