09 June 2006

Eenie Meanie Murphy, No!

As an exit gift upon completing the 4th grade my teacher, Mrs. Jacoby, gave each of her students a copy of the book Eenie Meanie Murphy, No! by Colleen O'Shaughnessy McKenna. I remember wishing it were candy, but one lazy summer afternoon I opened it and began to read. That day marked a turning point in my life, and as I hurried from chapter to chapter I discovered my love for reading. I continued reading that book every summer until a flood in my basement ruined my copy. Over the next decade, everytime I went into a bookstore I tried to find another copy of the now out-of-print book but always came out empty handed. I had all but given up on my search then yesterday evening I came home to find a package from my dearest friend, Maya, who told me she had sent me a birthday present. I opened the package and gasped in sheer delight as I saw my very own copy of Eenie Meanie Murphy, No! inside with a note saying that now I can finally end my search. This goes down in history as the best gift I have ever received.

3 comments:

n/a said...

awww how sweet!
maya rules! also she has a cool name :)

Abi T. said...

I LOVE this story. Let it be said that Maya is the best bestfriend EVER! What a wonderfully THOUGHTFUL gift, and more, what a precious friend!

Oh... can I borrow your book sometime?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, Maya rules, what can I say ;o) Actually, Folayo really wanted a puppy but shipping was too expensive. :o)