20 June 2006

Flowers.


This morning started off like any other; I got up, went to the gym, came home, got dressed, and went to work...nothing a bit out of the ordinary. As I settled into my desk with my mint tea, preparing to check messages and emails, my co-worker walked in with a beautiful bouquet of white roses.

"Those are pretty," I said. "Who are they for?"

He walked casually over to me and said, "You."

Now I must preface my next statement with this; he is the type of person who lies for amusement. He will tell complete detailed stories, and minutes later tell you that he was just "messing with you, and that that had never happened."

So, my obvious reply was, "Bullsh*t, who are they really for?"

"You, " he said again.

We went on like this for another 15 or so minutes before he finally said, "THEY'RE FOR YOU! Don't punish a good deed!"

At this point I realized, the flowers were indeed mine and I finally said, "Thank you."

But that was the end of it. I took my 11 roses, and went back to work. Later in the day I sent him an e-card with a proper, less suspicion filled, thank you...to which I got a smile as a response, but that was it. No explanation. No..."I found these and you were the first person I saw." No..."Would you like to get drinks or dinner?" Nothing. It was as if he had handed me a pencil..."here's a writing untensil...thank you," "here's a bouquet of roses...thank you." It could be the most oddly received gift I have ever gotten...I simply don't know what to make of it.

If his goal was to have me driven crazy and thinking about it all day...mission accomplished. Or perhaps in this case, a rose really is just a rose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

shady shady.....

Abi T. said...

Yeah, not sure what to make of that one Folayo. How peculiar. How INTRIGUING!
By the way, 11 roses? What happened to number 12?

n/a said...

oh la la!