06 June 2006

Extraordinary Machine.


"I certainly haven't been shopping for any new shoes, and I certainly haven't been spreading myself around. I still only travel by foot, and by foot it's a slow climb, but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...If there was a better way to go then it would find me. I can't help it, the road just rolls out behind me. Be kind to me, or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine." - Fiona Apple

I love this song...it might even be my theme song. I used to wonder why I couldn't find any steps to follow and why there never seemed to be an example for me to look to. I thought it was me simply refusing to grow up, but now I see that I was given the job of setting the path for somebody else to follow. It's not an easy job. It comes with it's fair share of burdens (i.e fielding the endless questions and concerns about the unfamiliarity of my direction), but it also carries some pretty sweet rewards like getting the praise for those "impossible" victories. The road can be rocky and ugly at times, and the lows are so much lower than I thought possible, but it's mine and I'm learning to love the journey.

2 comments:

Abi T. said...

Awesome post, Folayo. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogger!

Indeed you are a trailblazer. Never forget that if ever you look around and think you are alone (which as long as I'm living, you aren't). Undoubtedly, someone will be following you.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this road takes you.

n/a said...

i have been trying to comment on your blog but blogger has been actin up on me! anywayz im so glad you are in the wonderful world of blogging :) its so fun to keep in touch this way. fyi LOVE fiona!