19 June 2006

Weekend at the movies.

This weekend I decided to treat myself to a couple of movies, and in doing so experienced perhaps the strangest trips to the theater that I have ever had. There must have been something in the air in Century City this weekend.

On Saturday night, my friend Clara and I went to see the Lakehouse (very cute) . As I sat waiting in the theater for the movie to begin, an overly intense women came barging into my aisle snapping and clapping like a drill sergeant, shuffling people around to accomodate her party. Although I wasn't effected by the shuffle, I couldn't help but think that this must be the most ridiculous woman in the world...that was then.

Just as the lights started to dim and the previews began playing, yet another woman came stumbling into the aisle. She planted herself firmly in the seat next to Clara. I noticed a strange aroma coming from this woman, it only took a minute to realize that it was vodka. As she poured a clear liquid into her red plastic cup (keg cups, I call them) and swayed back and forth hitting both Clara and the woman to her left, we all realized that this lady was totally hammered. Surely, she must be the most ridiculous woman in the world...so I thought.

As the movie ended, Clara and I went to validate our parking and realized that we had only five minutes to get out of the garage without paying. Our fast walking turned into a full out sprint as we weaved through the crowds in our high heels, cursing old women and small children for getting in our way. As the gate lifted and we cheered wildly upon avoiding the $3 exit charge, I realized that clearly we were the two most ridiculous women in the world...or were we?

The next day, on a lazy sunday afternoon I decided treat myself to a matinee of The Davinci Code (also very good). When I walked into the theater I was surprised at how crowded it was, but as I was by myself I had no trouble finding a seat. There was however, a group of five that was having a bit more trouble. In the row behind me there were five empty seats, but a jacket was stretched across two of them. You could see the wheels turning as they decided that they would just move the jacket and take the seats. They placed the jacket on the rail, and got comfortable in their seats. Just as the previews were starting the owner of the jacket came into the theater, and looked with shock and awe at the two gentlemen now occupying her seats. As she confronted one of the men he told her that there was no jacket when he sat down (blatantly lying in front of his youg son) and continued responding to the woman with a patronizing disregard. As I listened I thought, this man is so lame...what a tool box. The woman's frustration escalated and I wasn't surprised when she dumped her entire diet coke on the man's head. I might have even cheered her on if it hadn't gotten on me and about five other people (only one of which was in the culprit party), or if she had just looked two rows ahead and seen the two available seats. Her failure to do so makes her, without a shadow of a doubt, the most ridiculous woman in the world.

It was indeed a strange weekend at the movies.

2 comments:

n/a said...

movies = DRAMA!
wow this is a great blog!
thanks :)
xoxoxo

Abi T. said...

i LOVE this post.